Thursday, June 9, 2011

Homeschooling Prejudice

Sometimes when people hear the word 'homeschooled' the picture that automatically comes to mind is a nerdy, out-of-the-loop, sheltered, glasses wearing, 'Sound of Music' listening, timid person who constantly talkes about school or what intriguing, theological book they just read. Though some people do have some or all of these qualities this picture is completely off target. Some may prefer the classical music, some, like myself, greatly enjoy bands and artists such as Reliant K, Britt Nicole, Thousand Foot Krutch and such others. One (if not the biggest) question which bugs me that people ask after finding out you're a homeschooler is, "Do you have any friends?" -this always makes me chuckle, especially after getting done with a week of constant get-togethers, sport events, and activities, WITH friends. Yes, there are marked differences from most public schoolers and homeschoolers, like: we dont get snow-days, can snack/drink coffee durring class, wear fuzzy slippers while doing algebra and never get teachers we don't like. Yes, I for one (though I can't speak for all other homeschoolers) have been to a concert, yes, I have played sports, yes, I have watched movies other than 'Old Yeller' and 'Finding Nemo', yes, I do enjoy a good game of PS2, yes, I do believe God is my savior and redeemer, and yes, someday I hope to own a motorcycle. So, as you can tell, sounds like quite an adventure! :)

2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, you are such an amazing young woman, Miranda!! I laughed out loud at your witty little phrases, I was smiling the whole time & you let me in on a little bit of your dreams which I Love! I'm so excited about this blog honey and you inspire me more than you can know! I love you and your adventures!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post :) lol, I had a lady come up to me and ask what I did for social interaction. I was holding a conversation with her while making eye contact. If that ain't social interaction, I'm not really sure what is....

    ReplyDelete